Friday, October 21, 2011

Recipe of the Week

{Image via Eat, Live, Run}

It's funny how our taste preferences change over time. When I was growing up, we didn't eat a lot of brussels sprouts in my household, so maybe that's why I never had an affinity for them. When I saw that Trader Joe's stocked up on this fall vegetable, I was intrigued and had to test them out again. Luckily there are a million ways to cook this sprout. Each of the recipes I tried this week were delicious, but Eat, Live, Run's Caramelized Brussels Sprouts definitely won me over. Sweet yet savory, this dish is a great side to any type of entree. You could even saute a protein along with it and make it a main dish! Here's the recipe:

Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
serves 2-4 as a side-dish
adapted from 101 cookbooks

Ingredients:
12-14 large brussels sprouts
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch sea salt
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup roughly chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted

Directions:
Slice each brussels sprout very thin until you have a mound of feathery brussels sprout ribbons. Heat the olive oil over medium high in a large skillet and saute the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the brussels sprouts and continue sauteing for another 4-5 minutes, until bright green and tender. Add the sea salt and brown sugar and toss together. Finish by adding the toasted nuts.

Time:
20 minutes

{a la mode} PS: The base recipe for this is great, but of course, everyone's tastes are a little different. Next time I would probably use a little less brown sugar. I also added a pinch of cayenne to spice it up, and I would probably add a bit more, but that is because my tastes have changed as well. I can't get enough of the kick! I used pecans and they definitely rounded out the sweet flavor, but I can see how any nut would work well with this recipe. 



I also followed this recipe for roasted brussels sprouts this week and was very pleased. I loved the combination of sprouts and apples drizzled with balsamic. I even added some roasted butternut squash into the mix and served it over quinoa. A great fall dinner. Here is the recipe:

Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Apples

2 cups trimmed fresh Brussels sprouts, cut in half
1 large honeycrisp apple, cubed
1 tablespoon olive oil
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Toss Brussels sprouts, apple, olive oil, salt and pepeper in a large bowl; place in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment (be sure to spread pieces apart). Roast at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes or until just tender. Remove from oven and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar; return to oven and roast an additional 5 minutes or until tender.

Finally, I got my weekend back and don't have to come into the office. I will definitely be attending the farmer's market tomorrow and seriously can't wait. I can't believe I've gone this long without going to the Ferry Building market! Other than that, I'll be listening to great music at the Bridge School Benefit Concert in Mountain View and celebrating a friend's birthday! Hope you all have fabulous weekends! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment