Thursday, December 1, 2011

'Tis the Season!

{Image via Pinterest}

December 1st is finally here, and while the Christmas season begins, for me, the day after Thanksgiving, there's something pretty special about the first of December. November came to a close in the best way possible, as I spent my Thanksgiving Holiday with family and friends. I celebrated my sister's and best friend's birthday all in the same week, in the midst of a cooking marathon for the Thanksgiving feast. Since this was my first year joining the chefs of my household, I was glad to be able to learn from the best, and we successfully roasted a 27lb turkey! I love Thanksgiving, but Christmas will always be my favorite. While we won't get snow in San Francisco, I definitely would love to have one White Christmas within my lifetime (preferably in a home like the above photo.) I think any Christmas celebration is made better with a little snow. My roommate and I decorated our apartment this week, and I must say, I think we topped last year's decor. I wouldn't usually be thrilled about a fake Christmas tree, but ours is definitely my favorite. It fits perfectly in the corner of our living room, is topped with a red bow, and best of all, no maintenance! Sparing the money to buy and keep up a real tree each year is definitely beneficial at this point in my life. The major downfall is the absence of the most amazing pine scent, but I've found the best fix for this problem. This Thymes Frasier Fir Candle does the trick! I had the diffuser a while back, which lasts much longer, but the candles are also great buys. Would definitely recommend them as holiday hostess gifts as well! I'm looking forward to 25 days of Holiday fun and excitement and can't wait to share them with you! No Christmas is complete without a little gingerbread, so here is the first of several recipes (thank you mom!) that I'll be sharing with you over the holidays! xx


{Image vie Pinterest}


Melissa's Gingerbread Cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup dark molasses
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons ground ginger
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
6 cups sifted all-purpose flour

Royal icing

Ingredients:

1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
1 large egg white
Food coloring

Directions:

Place the molasses, sugar, ginger and cinnamon in a double boiler over medium heat. When the sugar has melted, add the baking soda and stir. When the mixture bubbles up, remove from heat. Place butter in a large mixing bowl. Add the hot molasses mixture and stir well. Let mixture cool to about 90 degrees Fahrenheit, then add the eggs. Gradually add the flour, 1 cup at a time, while beating. (This is best done in an electric mixer, but you can use a wooden spoon.) Chill dough in flat rectangles. Wrap in plastic wrap. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line thick baking sheets with parchment paper. Place chilled dough on a well-floured board and roll out until 1/4 to 1/8-inch thick. Cut into shapes, place shapes on the parchment-covered baking sheets and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until firm to the touch. While cookies are still hot on tray, use a bamboo skewer to make small holes in tops of cookies (1/2 inch from edge). This will enable you to hang the cookies on your tree. Let cool on racks before icing. To make icing, beat sugar with egg white until thick and smooth. Use food colorings sparingly, adding bit by bit until desired color is attained. Icing decorations can be simple piping or dots, or complex lines atop a shiny undercoat of a softly or brightly tinted hue.
Makes 3 to 4 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment